There are several reasons why asphalt is a great material for paving.
- Cost-effective: Initial installation costs, as well as maintenance and repair expenses, are generally lower for asphalt when compared to other materials like concrete or interlocking pavers.
- Quick installation: Asphalt can be installed relatively quickly, allowing for shorter project timelines and less disruption to the usability of the area.
- Durability: Asphalt’s extreme durability gives it the ability to withstand heavy traffic loads. It also has excellent resistance to cracking, which is essential in a parking lot where vehicles frequently turn, stop, and park.
- Flexibility: Because asphalt is slightly flexible, it can adapt to slight ground movements and temperature fluctuations. This helps prevent cracking and other damage that can occur with more rigid materials.
- Smooth and quiet surface: Asphalt provides a smooth, even surface for vehicles to drive on, offering a comfortable ride. It also produces less noise from tire contact, resulting in a quieter facility.
- Quick repairs: Localized repairs for damage such as potholes or cracks can be done relatively quickly and cost-effectively, since they do not require extensive removal or replacement of the entire surface.
- Easy maintenance: Regular maintenance of an asphalt parking lot, such as sealcoating and periodic re-striping, helps extend its lifespan. Cleaning and snow removal are also generally easier on asphalt surfaces.
- Sustainability: Asphalt is a recyclable material, and reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP) can be reused in new asphalt mixes. This recycling capability contributes to the sustainability of asphalt as a paving material. You can also save money by taking advantage of our recycling credit program next time your asphalt surface needs maintenance.